UK drivers of rental and leased vehicles still require VE103 certificates regardless of EU-Exit Deal

Driving Awareness, Travelling Abroad

Tags: , , , , ,

If you are planning to use your company car (leased vehicle) post 29 March in Europe, you will still be required to carry VE103 certificate. 

The Government has confirmed that drivers of rented or leased vehicles will still be required to carry a VE103 certificate when taking their vehicle abroad post 29 March, regardless of the outcome of the EU-Exit deal.

The VE103 is the only legal alternative to the vehicle registration document (V5). Letters of authority and photocopies of the V5C (log-book) are not valid substitutes.

Drivers caught without the correct documentation can face long delays which can be time consuming and costly. The consequences will vary according to the country, but a driver may be fined and the vehicle could be impounded.

Rented or leased vehicles include those on short- or long-term hire. This includes not only daily rental but contract hire, finance lease, contract purchase, and employee car ownership schemes.

Travelling to France?

Launched last year, certain areas of France require drivers to display a Crit’Air sticker. This sticker comes in six colour categories, ranging from green to black, based on the European Emission Standards.

To find out more, including which areas of France are affected and how to apply for a sticker, visit our Taking your company car to France page.

What do you need to do?

Take a look at our Vehicles Abroad page for important travel advice including:

  • Obtaining your Vehicle on Hire Certificate (VE103B) – a must-have for taking your vehicle abroad
  • What equipment you must carry, by law
  • European Breakdown cover

You will also need to check your company car policy permits you to take your company car overseas and also check your car insurance covers you.

If you have any further questions regarding travelling abroad, please don’t hesitate to contact the team on:

0115 946 6466

Leave a Reply