Brexit: Taking Vehicles Abroad – Important Advice (VE103)

Driving Awareness, Travelling Abroad

Tags: , , , , , ,

Important information for driving your vehicle abroad. From 29th March, regardless of whether there is a deal or no deal Brexit, all drivers taking vehicles abroad will require a VE103 form issued by the owner of the vehicle, an insurance Green Card and a GB car sticker, in order to drive in the EU.

It is likely that post 29 March, regardless of any outcomes there will be more rigorous and targeted checks put in place on all UK registered vehicles and drivers. Drivers caught without the correct documentation could face lengthy delays and have to deal with costly fines. These may vary according to the country, but it is important to inform drivers that they may be fined and have their vehicle seized if they do not hold correct documentation.

This applies to all vehicles from privately owned to company owned and applies to daily rental, contract hire, finance lease, contract purchase, and employee car ownership schemes.

Customers who are planning on using their company car (leased vehicle) post 29 March in European Union will be required to carry all of the following: 

  • VE103 form and letter of authority to take the vehicle abroad, issued by the owner of the vehicle.
  • Motor insurance Green Card, which should be issued by your motor insurer and must be printed on green paper (if the print at home kind).  If an accident occurs in the EU, the claim must be started whilst the driver is still in the EU. If you have currently insurance to cover you in travelling abroad your insurance provider should have by now already contacted you in advance.
  • GB badge (even if the vehicle has a Euro-pate with the EU flag and GB sign) or a GB number plate without the EU flag, if the vehicle was plated with one.
  • If travelling to France the driver will also require a Crit’Air certificate (see further below)
  • Drivers should always check the driving restrictions/requirements of the country they intent to drive in and more countries now have green zones. Please visit the following site for more information

Travelling to France?

Certain areas of France require drivers to display a Crit’Air sticker. This sticker comes in six colour categories, ranging from green to black, based on the European Emission Standards. You will also require 2x breathalyser kits, warning triangle, high viz jackets for each passenger, headlight stickers and first aid kit.

To find out more, including which areas of France are affected and how to apply for a sticker, visit our Taking your company car to France page.

What do you need to do next?

Complete our online form found on our  Vehicles Abroad page which also contains further travel advice including:

  • Obtaining your Vehicle on Hire Certificate (VE103B) – a must-have for taking your vehicle abroad
  • What equipment you must carry, by law
  • European Breakdown cover

You will also need to check your company car policy permits you to take your company car overseas and also check your car insurance covers you.

Further Advice

The government has also provided further advice on driving abroad which can be found at

If you have any further questions regarding travel abroad, please don’t hesitate to contact the team on:

0115 946 6466

Leave a Reply