1. What data we collect
Sandicliffe Motor Contracts collects data from you and your company/employer both directly, when you send us an enquiry online, over the phone, in person, and indirectly, for example interacting with our website. We may also obtain data from third parties who are complicit with GDPR.
The data we collect may vary on the interactions you and your company/employer make with us, and the products you purchase. This data may include –
- Name & contact information – e.g. First & last name, email address, mailing address, phone number and permission on how we use these to contact you.
- Financial data – e.g. Your date of birth, proof of identification, credit history information and proof of income and residence.
- Payment data – e.g. Your payment instrument number (for example credit card number) and the security code associated with your payment. These details are handled by a payment provider and we never store your payment information.
- Behavioural data – e.g. how you use our online products and services, information from communications sent between us such as emails & phone calls, the devices and technology you use to access our online service and the location you access it from.
- Vehicle data – e.g. Your vehicles servicing & MOT history, registration number and date.
- Legally requireddata – e.g. A copy of your driving licence when using a courtesy car in case of any motoring offences, you and your vehicle may be present on CCTV recordings from visits to our dealerships. Your NI number in relation to P11D reporting if requested by your company.
We also collect information you and your company/employer provide to us and the content of any messages you send to us electronically, by post and over the telephone. Any phone conversations may be monitored and recorded.
When you or your company/employer use our website, we may record how you use our site to help us improve the online service we provide to you.
2. How we collect your data
We may collect personal data about you, when you or your company/employer interact with us by any means and receive data from third-party companies, for example when they provide you with a service which has been arranged by us.
These sources may include:
Data you give to us –
- When you or your company/employer request information about one of our products, services or company.
- When you or your company/employer speak to us over the phone or in person to our SMC representatives.
- When you or your company/employer contact us via our website, social media or via our webchat.
- From emails, letters and SMS.
- From financial account reviews if you have any financial products with us.
- When you or your company/employer participate in competitions, promotions or partnerships/sponsorships.
- When you or your company/employer participate in surveys or give us feedback.
Data when you use our services –
- Payment and transactional data if applicable.
- Profile and usage data, including how you use our online services such as our website, online tools, emails and social media.
Data from third parties –
- Companies who introduce you to us e.g. vehicle advertising platforms and data providers
- Social networks
- Government agencies
3. How we use your data
We use this to provide you and your company/employer with the best experience we can, including using your data to make sure we are providing you with information that is relevant and specific to you and your vehicle. We may use your information to contact you and your company/employer about new products which may be of interest as well as safety, maintenance information and industry or legislation updates, to show you more relevant advertising using internal marketing communications or 3rd party platforms.
We have three basic uses for your information
- To provide you and your company/employer with the products you purchase from us and to operate our business.
- To communicate with you and your company/employer electronically, letter, SMS and phone.
- To show relevant advertisements to you and your company/employer in products offered by 3rd parties
Providing our products – We use your data to provide you and your company/employer with products, such as vehicles, servicing and repairs to your vehicle and offer financial services. We require this data to meet the legal requirements for providing you with these products and services. We also use your data to offer you and your company/employer high levels of customer service and support. We use data to develop aggregated analysis and intelligence that enable us to operate, protect, make informed decisions and report on the performance of our business.
Communications – We use data we collect from you and your company/employer to communicate with you and personalise these communications to make them relevant to you and your company/employer. We may contact you by phone, email, letter or SMS to inform you of any safety, industry updates or maintenance work which is due or overdue on your vehicle, to provide you with information relevant to you and your current vehicle and your company’s fleet, to update you regarding your vehicle status, to give you information which you have requested, to request feedback about a service you have received from us or to let you know when a contract for a product or service you have purchased from us is ending. You can also consent to receive relevant promotional communications from us by email, SMS, post or phone.
Advertising – We may use data which we collect in your interactions with us, and some 3rd party services to show advertising. For example:
When you visit our website, your browser stores a unique identifier in a cookie, which is then used by 3rd parties such as Google or Bing to show you adverts relevant to the products or services you have viewed on our site. We may also share this data with third parties, such as Facebook so that they can deliver our advertisements to you within their platform.
The ads that you see may also be based on data we process about you, such as your previous transactions with us, search queries or the content you view. We will hold indirectly obtained data for advertising purposes for 90 days. We may share reports with the third parties we use for advertising on the performance of the campaign, but this is aggregated and will never contain personally identifiable data.
4. What lawful ground do we rely on to use your data?
There are different lawful grounds we rely on to use and collect your personal information, including Contract, Legitimate Interests, Legal or Regulatory Obligations, Vital Interests and Consent.
- Contract – When the use of your personal data is needed to perform our obligations of a contract we have with you and the company your work for, or to take steps you request before entering into a contract. This could include entry into a competition or contracts for services we broker or directly provide to you.
- Legitimate Interest – We may use your data to fulfil our legitimate business interests where we have ensured your information and your rights to that information have been protected. Some examples of this may include using your data to understand our products, services and marketing activity and take steps to improve them; to identify products and services which are likely to be of interest to you and your company/employer and share these offers and information with you; to personalise your experience both online and within our representatives; to communicate important safety information to you and to detect or prevent fraud, security, safety or privacy issues.
- Legal or Regulatory Obligations – Where we believe it necessary we may use your information to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation we must meet. This could be information from an accident report for Health and Safety records or for taxation and auditing purposes.
- Vital Interests – In limited circumstances we may believe it is necessary to use your information to protect your own or someone else’s safety or vital interests
Consent – We will rely on your consent to collect information from you such as cookie information and to send you promotional messages. For instances where we require your consent to use your data you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing consent can be done so by emailing your request to email@example.com
5. How we share your data
We only share your personal data with your consent or when it is necessary for us to provide you with a product and service you or your company/employer have requested or purchased from us. We may also share data with companies working on our behalf or when it is required by law. We never sell or rent your data to third parties.
In order for Sandicliffe Motor Contracts to provide you and your company/employer with our contractual obligations to you with our services, we share your data with our operational partners and contracted third parties, which enable us them to provide it to you on our behalf.
Personal data sharing with third parties
Sandicliffe Motor Contracts also work with financial services organisations where we have an agency agreement in place. Your personal data may be shared with financial services organisations, such as companies which provide hire-purchase funding and banks providing such funding. This is for the purpose of securing such funding on your behalf. We may provide personal data to enable such financial services organisations to carry out necessary searches in order to enable them to make a funding decision for you and meeting their legal and regulatory requirements.
In addition, these funders may share your data within their group of companies who provide services to them and so that they and any other companies in their group can look after your relationship with us and them.
We may also share your data with companies we use as agents or suppliers, for example to provide customer service and administrational support or to assist us operationally, protecting, cleansing, managing and securing our systems and databases. They must abide by this data privacy notice and are not allowed to use the personal data they receive from us for any other purposes.
We will only transfer or disclose your personal data in the following circumstances –
- If we sell any of our business, we may disclose your personal information to the prospective buyer of the relevant business.
- In the event of a duty of disclosure due to compliance with legal obligations.
- To enforce or to comply with our terms and conditions of use for non-compliance.
- For the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
6. Social Networks & External Websites
Our websites may offer you the opportunity to share or follow information about Sandicliffe Motor Contracts using third party social networking functionality such as ‘share’, ‘like’ or ‘follow’ buttons. Our website may also contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks and manufacturers.
We offer you various social media functionality options to generate interest towards our services among members of your social networks and to give you easy access to new information about us and our products. You should be aware that sharing personal information within a social network may result in the being collected by the provider of that social network, this could result in your information becoming publicly available in internet search engine results.
In the event you follow any links to social media or other external links, these websites will have their own privacy policies and we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these. We would always advise you check those policies before submitting any information to those websites.
- Efficiency – This helps us to find out what the website doesn’t do well to make improvements and to make features that you use more efficient.
- Analytics – We use these to gather usage and performance data, for example counting how many unique visitors have visited a web page. This data is aggregated and there is no personal identifiable data.
- Customisation of website layout & content
- Remembering your preferences and settings (i.e. if you have specified you only wish to see vehicles with images this setting will not be remembered when you return to the website)
- Recognition of devices, reducing the need to provide the same information on multiple visits to the site
- Identification of errors for resolution
- Identification of what is relevant to you and your needs
- The use of our live chat feature
Below is a list of the current main cookies we use and what they add to our website.
We are committed to protecting the security of your personal information using a variety of security technologies and procedures. Through the Sandicliffe Motor Group we are also Cyber Essential certified to demonstrate our commitment to cyber security, and ultimately protecting your data.
We will do everything within our power to keep your information safe, however data transmission via the Internet is not completely secure therefore we cannot guarantee the security of your data in transit. Once we have received your information we will use clear policies and procedures to protect your data from unauthorised access, use or disclosure. We will never ask you to email sensitive information such as password details, payment details or personal banking information.
If you suspect you are a victim of fraud, please report this to the police through ‘Action Fraud’ via the website www.actionfraudpolice.co.uk or by calling 03001 232 040. We would also advise you contact the Information and Commissioners Office (ICO) via the website www.ico.gov.uk.
We store your data on secure, protected servers inside the EU. Most of our partner networks are mainly based inside the EU but some may be based outside and these countries may have different data protection rules. We will take measures to ensure that any such transfers comply with applicable data protection laws and that your data remains protected to the standards described within this privacy notice. You can read about the EU e-privacy Directive and the UK’s Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) (Amendment) Regulations 2011 at www.ico.gov.uk.
9. How to access and control your data
You can request a copy of the information we hold on you at any time and make choices about how we collect and use your data, including what information we hold about you and your communication preferences.
If you wish to request a copy of the information we hold about you, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send a written request to:
Data Control Team
Sandicliffe Motor Contracts
Fields Farm Road
We will respond to requests to access or delete data within 30 days. If you are concerned we are not using your data in accordance with these processes and not meeting our legal obligations or you are not satisfied with our response to your data request you can refer to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) www.ico.gov.uk.
You can choose whether you wish to receive communications from us by phone, email, SMS or post at any time. If you receive an email or SMS and wish to unsubscribe you can follow the directions in the message. You can unsubscribe for any form of communication by emailing email@example.com. This does not apply to mandatory communications which are part of the service we provide to you and your company or important safety information regarding your vehicle.
You can control your cookie settings within your browser, the following links give more information on how to do this – Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox and Safari.
Our data retention periods are reviewed regularly, and we only hold your personal information if deemed necessary for the required use, to meet legal requirements or as stated in any contract we have in place with you.
This privacy notice may be updated at any time so we recommend you review it regularly.